blogger widget

Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Vicious Cycle


While there are both positive and negative aspects of being a restaurant server, sometimes the positive aspects can incite a negative, ‘vicious cycle’ reaction among servers; especially those who have advanced educational backgrounds or other career prospects. When I use the term ‘vicious cycle’, I am referring to the idea of getting trapped in a [subjectively] dead-end job, simply because it brings in a considerable amount of money.

For instance, one of the best things about being a waitress is the large amount of money that can be made with very little effort in a short period of time.

You may think, “How could anyone turn this [clearly] positive aspect of serving into something negative?” Wouldn’t most people jump at the chance to make a lot of ‘easy’ money in just a few short hours? Of course they would. However, when the money flows this easily on the job, it’s almost impossible to move on to something different.

A lot of waitresses become ‘career servers’ because they genuinely enjoy their jobs; but most waitresses I know become ‘career servers’ because they get trapped in a vicious cycle where they can easily fill their wallets in half the time it takes the average worker to do the same.

Servers like me, who have been trying for many years to pursue other job prospects, find it difficult to move in a new direction, because most of the time, the money just doesn’t add up. It’s hard for a server to accept a prospective job that doesn’t pay as well as a waitressing job, because over the years, we’ve become accustomed to making hundreds of dollars in one short shift. So, new job prospects often get pushed aside in favour of continuing on as a server – This is the ‘vicious cycle’.

But, despite the feelings of negativity that can get trapped inside this vicious cycle, I’m hopeful that one day the cycle will break – not only for me, but for any server who is working towards a meaningful career outside the service industry.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I've never worked a serving job so I've never experienced this "vicious cycle", but I have friends who are servers and I hear about it from them. I also hear a lot about this just from living in Niagara Falls and working in the tourism industry. The whole service/ tourism industry seems like a part of this cycle. But, I'm sure you'll break the cycle soon and find a meaningful career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a big issue, not only in the service industry but in other areas of life as well. I personally know strippers who do that type of "work" because of the easy money. I actually know two of them personally who set a goal for themselves of 5 years of this type of work. In the first year they paid off all their debts, including school loans. The next four years they were able to invest in property,,, both in Canada and on foreign shores. After their five years were up, they were set up for life with rental apartment buildings, legitimate businesses, etc. One of the girls told me that it was the only way for her to make a ton of money in a short time and she did not intend to waste the opportunity. Being a server is not the self-esteem debasing job that stripping is (thank GOD) however, it has that same vicious cycle effect with the corrupting power of financial benefit in a quick hurry. Set a goal for yourself and SAVE, SAVE, SAVE your money. That way you WILL break out of the vicious cycle. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, Heather.

    I worked at the Keg for five years, so I completely understand what you mean by "trapped". At times, I straight up hated serving there, but I knew the money was better than any other part-time job out there. You have to eventually realize that the cliches are true: do something you love doing, not something that pays you more.

    I broke free and eventually, you will too.

    -J-

    ReplyDelete