blogger widget

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Verbal Tip

An actual credit card receipt from Friday night

It’s not uncommon knowledge that servers work for tips. We even have our own government standardized income category, which happens to be less than minimum wage. But some people either don’t understand the realities of Ontario labour regulations or they just don’t care.

Servers rely on tips as part of their income – this is a fact; and we expect at least 15 per cent. Before you start ranting about those greedy waitresses, it’s important to note that most restaurants take up to 3 per cent of a server’s net sales as part of their tip-out to the cooks, hostesses and management, regardless of whether the server made any tips that night. Therefore, it’s only natural to get upset when we receive a less than appropriate tip.

Sometimes customers try our patience with something called ‘the verbal tip.’ Some diners think it’s okay to compliment their server on a job well done in lieu of a cash tip. While we appreciate your kind words about our wonderful service, verbal tips don’t pay our bills.

As frustrating as verbal tips can be, especially when they seem to take over an entire shift, there is a way to get through the pain: Remind yourself that you – the server – didn’t do anything wrong. Instead, blame it on the customer’s ignorance. It’s not your fault they didn’t bother reading up on standard tipping practices.

However you see it, money is an important part of life; without it, we wouldn’t be able to eat, clothe ourselves or put a roof over our heads. So, what’s the moral of this story? Always tip your server…in cash. 

4 comments:

  1. I've always cringed if I've been at a restaurant and that Dad who thinks he's funny just gives the server a 'tip'. The one time (I'm not kidding here) this is what I heard:
    "I'm going to give you a tip that will pay out larger in life than it will on this bill... (drumroll) Don't eat yellow snow".
    His family died of laughter and they left the restaurant. It was unreal! 15% it is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I sometimes want to give ignorant customers their own verbal tips, in all good conscience, I just can't do it. I appreciate your comment, though.

      Delete
  2. very well said. Since my daughter has been a server part time while working on her career, I understand that tips are important and always try to tip more than 15 per cent. I have often over tipped for good service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I remember dining with a large group a few years ago and after enjoying a positive dining experience, I was shocked to see a couple of my fellow diners go into "critique mode" in order to justify tipping lower than the agreed upon 20%. Suddenly criticisms like "She could have refilled my water glass sooner," "I had to ask for ketchup TWICE because she forgot," and "She wasn't THAT friendly" were being thrown across the table. It was so ridiculous. Like you said, it is no secret that servers support themselves with tips, not the measly serving wage. If you don't want to tip fairly, don't eat out. Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete